Child Themes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  philip immirzi @ourlocality 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Guy McLean

Hi there,

After having a quick look online into creating child themes I’ve come across a number of plugins (such as Child Theme Configurator and Child Theme Creator by Orbisius) which appear to make changing files like footer/header.php pretty straightforward.

What are your thoughts on these? I don’t know what the overheads would be like for you to add one of these plugins to OurLocality but if it were possible, it would great to play around with and be less intimidating than editing files on my local server.

Cheers,
    Guy

#1817 Reply

We’ve looked into this plugin before. It is better for us to upload and enable a child theme (one or 2 files), and relatively trivial to create a basic one (e.g. if all you want to do is add custom css, or change a footer credit in a free theme or add a css class.) Furthermore we can review that nothing untoward gets added.

In any case, as stated before, we can’t give ftp access, needed for the plugin to work (to create the directories and replicate the child theme file structure).

Accepting that using a local webserver is a bit intimidating, we are here to support publishers achieve their goals, so will try our best to help you achieve your aims with or without workarounds.

In relation to your original problem, I’ve used a

body:after { content: ‘Disclaimer’;
    }

So a theme with a wrapper class (twenty sixteen?) may allow you to do what you want elegantly.

#1830 Reply

Guy McLean

Ahh okay I understand why the plugin isn’t feasible.

I do have an XAMPP server on my PC so I think I’ll watch a few youtube tutorials and have a look into creating a child theme that way.

I don’t know what you mean by a theme with a wrapper class – why would I do this and how would I go about doing it?

Cheers

#1832 Reply

I’ve added the body:after to your css and commented it out … so you could replace my-footer. Its a dirty workaround, with limitations.

For this sort of project (and knowing the client) I would aim to find a robust template that does 95% of the heavy lifting and work around that as far as possible. It’s a bit of a challenge sometimes, but still fun to try and achieve something different with as little code as possible.

If you’re really set on a child theme (or really want to get into WP and perhaps theme development) a quick intro is here – faster than watching a video:

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/01/create-customize-wordpress-child-theme/

The basics are:

Add a style.css file with the requisite header info and you’re away. You need to understand that the main template files are still driving your site at this point.

If you want to work with the current stylesheet, but override some of the styles, the old way was to import the whole style sheet, but this is no different to using the native css editor and could be slow.

The new way is via the functions.php (a central and the most important of the theme files).

You simply add:

add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, ‘enqueue_parent_styles’ );

function enqueue_parent_styles() {
    wp_enqueue_style( ‘parent-style’, get_template_directory_uri().’/style.css’ );
    }

Apart from functions.php, which behaves differently to the other theme files, all the other files such as footer.php can be added and will simply override the main template files.

I’m around on Wed, so we could scoot through the basics and get you up and running in no time.

A better understanding of the WordPress publishing features will help you keep options wide open e.g. to use the sidebars, custom menus features, page titles and meta, news syndication and other management facilities etc.

Let me know by email

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Child Themes
Your information: